A preliminary list of needs and wants for the design of the house. Notice which is longer.
- 2 bedrooms (one for owners and one for guests and/or children)
- 1 bath
- open kitchen dining and living space with double height for a significant portion
- study/office area
- lots of natural light
- storage for books
- patio that is an extension of living space
- outdoor space to garden, plant and grill
- extremely energy efficient shell
- high efficiency HVAC system
- rain water collection system for watering outdoor plants
- storage for bikes, sports gear, tools & other unruly equipment
- 2nd bath
- passive cooling design (no air conditioning needed)
- passive heating design (minimal heating or wood/pellet stove only needed)
- 2nd story deck(s)
- green roof
- passive solar hot water heating system
- radiant heat on ground floor
- Solar PV system (leased from utility company to eliminate installation costs)
- roof access / roof deck
- parking for scooter / motorcycle
- electric car powering station
- whole house power off switch
- whole house energy monitoring system
- whole house audio system (speakers wired in walls/cielings, outdoor speakers, iPod docking station…)
- fire pole
Do we have all the needs covered? How many wants will we be able to fit in the design and budget?
If you enjoyed reading this post I can promise you'll love our new writing over at Postgreen Homes. Yeah, we know that's the same thing your favorite band said and their new album is nowhere near as good as their early stuff, but seriously, we are actually still getting better.
There also isn't much conversation to be had here . . . at least not with us. So come on over to the Postgreen Homes Blog and tell us what you think of our new(ish) digs and crazy ideas. We will be sure to tell you what we think of your opinion.