A friend of mine pointed out this modern rehab to me right around the corner from our site earlier this week that is now listed for sale. It turns out that one of our readers, Todd Bennett, is the co-owner of the rehabbed garage and was kind enough to give me a tour yesterday.
The story behind the rehab is actually pretty interesting. Todd, his girlfriend (now wife) and another friend who were all Master of Architecture majors at University of Pensylvania were faced with the task to find internships for the summer about two years ago. Together they came up with the idea to buy, design and rehab a house in Philly for their summer experience rather than going the traditional internship route. They dove in and two years later are putting the finishing touches on their modern rehab which they are now selling due to everyone graduating and moving out of Philly for their new jobs.
The rehab ended up taking longer than planned due to common development issues in Philadelphia, but the team stayed on budget and completed the majority of the construction themselves. Todd said that the timeline for the project was as follows:
- First Summer shopping for a property and purchasing
- Entire following school year for obtaining zoning and building permits
- Next summer and school year for complete rehab
The finished product is impressive and boast the following features:
- Cor-Ten steel screen facade that provides privacy, security and looks badass
- Interior courtyard separating public space from private space in the home
- 600 sf extensive green roof
- 200 sf rooftop patio with recycled tire pavers
- Bamboo flooring throughout
- On-demand electric water heater
- 3 beds + 2 baths with 10-12 ft ceilings
- Exposed brick interior
- modern finishes throughout
Check out the links below for sales info and lots more images of the home. It has just been put on the market for $419K and while this is a bit pricey for the neighborhood it could also be considered a bargain for this unique, modern space unlike anything else you will find in Philly right now.
Todd’s Flickr Page for the Vader Home (He says it looks like Darth Vader’s Lair)